Easter Reminds Me of Christmas

by Joan C Webb on April 18, 2011

Easter chick clip artIt’s Easter week and I’m thinking about Christmas! But it’s not what you suspect. I’m not in my perfectionistic-mode of planning, shopping and preparing my holidays that far in advance.

I’m thinking about Christmas, because Easter is the reason for Christmas. Which leads me to reflect on JESUS.

Christmas tree clip artDuring His 33 years on earth, Jesus surrounded Himself with perfectly imperfect people who decided to admit their needs, take risks, make mistakes and grow. These are the kind of people who formed His staff and ministry team.

Actually, He didn’t spend much time with those who feigned perfection, appeared on-top-of-it-all, made unreasonable religious rules, blamed others for their dilemmas and remained preoccupied with appearances.

Instead Jesus preferred working, playing and living with people just like you and me. He enjoyed imperfect partnerships back then, just as He does today. What a relief-producing Easter thought!

Kirsten websize basketHow will this truth make a difference in your Easter holiday this season?

Easter Gift-Giving Tip: Include a copy of the book The Relief of Imperfection in your Easter baskets.

Pam C in Canada April 18, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Haha – I’m thinking of Christmas presents now, so that when November comes, I don’t have to worry about a list (my birthday is a month before, so I often do a combination list), and so I don’t end up really stressed trying to make things for the kids in my life (handmade is so much more fun than bought!). If I don’t start early enough, I may not get things done!

But I agree that it’s all about Jesus :) . And I really like “He enjoyed imperfect partnerships back then, just as He does today. What a relief-producing Easter thought!”. Thank you!

Joan C. Webb April 19, 2011 at 12:43 am

Hi Pam! Fun to hear your Christmas at Easter time story! :-) I think you sound like you’re a good planner! Enjoy your creativity making the gifts.

Glad you liked the “He enjoyed imperfect partnerships back then, just as He does today. What a relief-producing Easter thought!” comment!

BTW, how did you find this blog so quickly after I posted it? (I didn’t think it went out the blog subscribers yet.) So I’m just curious. And Happy Easter to you and yours!

Laurie Wallin April 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Such a great reminder… that to be with Jesus, we need to not be perfect (not just that focusing less on perfection makes us happier!). He hangs out with the messes. When I let myself see this in me, I get to be closer to Him. So incredibly freeing. Thanks!

Joan C. Webb April 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Yes, Laurie. Freeing. Kinda makes my shoulders relax. Have a relief-producing Easter! Thanks for your comments.

Marnie April 22, 2011 at 10:47 am

Joan, I love, love, love who you are and watching God flow through you to the world. You are vulnerable, fun and right on the mark! Happy Easter, my friend!

LInda Carlblom April 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Great thoughts, Joan. I especially love that “Jesus surrounded Himself with perfectly imperfect people who decided to admit their needs, take risks, make mistakes and grow.” All those things are hard for me to do, yet so important. Thanks for the timely wisdom and the SHORT blog entries. It makes it so easy for me to take a moment to read them and take a deep, relaxing breath.

Kitty Chappell April 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Thanks so much for your usual words of wisdom! In my talk to a local Celebrate Recovery group this week, I made the statement “I began to grow like a weed the day I decided to be perfectly honest with God about my weaknesses.” After doing that and asking His help to overcome these weakness,I was freed of the need to appear perfect around others (as a “good” Christian). I soon discovered that they responded more to my mistakes and inperfections and how I overcame them than when I gave the impression that I was perfect and never had problems.

Joan, your interview with Diane Markins was wonderful. I loved everything you said about the importance of laughter, especially at ourselves. What you said is right on! But even if it hadn’t been, it would have been worth listening to because of your captivating personality and voice. Thanks so much for being who you are!!

Have a great Easter! And even if the chocolate in some of your Easter eggs melt, I know you’ll laugh about it and scoop out the chocolate with your fingers and enjoy the sweetness.

Pam C in Canada April 25, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Joan – I can’t remember – it was either on the blog roll/subscription or through Facebook…but I honestly can’t remember.

Joan C. Webb April 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Okay, Pam, that’s cool! :-)

Joan C. Webb April 26, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Kitty, I love your “Celebrate Recovery” authenticity. Thanks for sharing.

And also Kitty, I appreciate your encouraging words about the interview I had with Diane Markins. Really. After we got off the air and I listened to the tape, I said something to Diane like, “Wow, I was really on a roll!” I felt like perhaps I was a little too rambunctious! LOL! So thanks for affirming the stories. Diane reminded me that the theme was “laughter”. Ha! Hope you enjoyed any melted chocolate over the Easter weekend!

Joan C. Webb April 26, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Thanks for your affirmation, Linda! And for sharing honestly with us. I’m smiling here.

Joan C. Webb April 26, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Hi Marnie! Your words are mellowing to me. Thanks for the encouragement from someone who touches many people for God’s work and kingdom. YOU. :-)

Leslie Styler Photog May 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I want to win!!! I have been needing to read/order your books since I met you a year ago

Connie Dunn May 1, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I wanna win!!!!! Choose me!!!

Joan C. Webb May 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Hi Leslie and Connie! I like your enthusiasm!!

patricia melchi May 1, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I would like to get in on your drawing to win your autographed book. What a wonderful gift!
Every day reminds me of christmas because everyday the good lord walks with me through this life. This present is perfect because within it is the miracle. The little things that we take for granite are the blessing.
The sun rising, the flower blooming, the babies being born,the wind blowing through my hair. Even in the death of a loved one because they get to move on into eternity with the light of God. Every day the gift is the present in which the presence of God shows himself in our life. As I watch the sun set, the moon rises with hope for tomorrow.

Laurie Wallin May 2, 2011 at 12:53 am

How fun – I didn’t even know you were doing a giveaway when I commented before. Looking forward to having you on Living Power this week!

Joan C. Webb May 2, 2011 at 12:58 am

Hi Laurie! You’re name was “in the hat”. However, I didn’t draw it out. :-(
Yes, I’ll “see” on the LP FB page.

Joan C. Webb May 2, 2011 at 1:00 am

Hi Pam C! I pulled your name out of the hat. You won! Congratulations. Now you can choose which book you’d like: The Relief of Imperfection, It’s a Wonderful (Imperfect) Life or The Intentional Woman. I sent you a direct message on FB. Did you get it? I need your mailing address in order to send the book to you.

Joan C. Webb May 2, 2011 at 1:04 am

Hi Patricia! You got your comment in just in time. :-) So I did throw your name into the hat. Sorry I didn’t draw your name, tho.
By the way, my family and I are planning to come to the Strawberry Lodge in July. And I’ll get to see you again!
I might stay in the duplex (after my family leaves). I still have to decide about that. Looking forward to coming up there again.

Pam C in Canada May 2, 2011 at 9:32 am

Yay! I sent you a FB message just a little while ago :) . Thanks Joan!