Faster is Better!?

by Joan C Webb on May 13, 2011

Butterfly caterpillar-chrysalis-adultYou and I are surrounded by society’s message to hurry up and live. Combine this with the inner pull to avoid pain and we may begin to believe the false philosophy that faster is always better and that hardship is to be avoided at all costs.

Growth and life satisfaction can occur for you when you identify a need, develop a strategy to meet the need, and then delight in the outcome. Growth IS rewarding. But it doesn’t happen overnight. It is a process.

Butterfly monarch-emergingGod sanctions process and He gives us lots of examples. Here’s one: A butterfly starts as an egg, becomes a caterpillar, then goes through the pupa stage before it emerges as a beautiful butterfly. Even then, it can’t fly until blood is pumped into it’s wings.

What’s another example of how God endorses process and gives us permission to enjoy life’s developing beauty? Leave a comment and continue the list here.

1. Butterfly process

2. Here’s a hint: Sam being weighed, crying after birth cropped

Pam C in Canada May 13, 2011 at 8:31 am

I think the changing of seasons is a reminder to “slow down & let God”. Often, life gets so busy in the day to day things that you forget to just slow down until something in nature strikes you as beautiful, but at the same time, ordinary. I have found that I need to take time to slow down & relax – I’m not going to get to the finish line any faster if I try to go faster or get more done in a shorter amount of time.

Thanks for the reminder :) . (P.S. I think your book is in my mailbox today :D . Thank you!)

Jodene Shaw May 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm

This is so good Joan. You know, faster is better used to be one of my business mottos…and it burned me out. I love my slower paced lifestyle now. And of course, I love the example of the butterfly. Did you know that before the caterpillar enters the cocoon, it grows and sheds its skin 4 times? That is process too!

Joan c Webb May 14, 2011 at 10:12 am

Jodi, I think we have the “faster is better” business background in common! I love how you’ve chosen your creative slower-paced mode for now. Still this does’nt mean you don’t have a lot going on… :-) .
Thx for the added info about the caterpillar in process. No, I didn’t know that. That is cool.

Joan c Webb May 14, 2011 at 10:19 am

Pam, glad the book you won made it to your door. Hope you enjoy The Intentional Woman. Yes, I think you right about the seasons. I have a writing colleague who writes about this.

Diane Markins May 14, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Slow has been best for the past 8 1/2 months, but my baby is expecting her baby any time now and the minutes are dragging by! Sorry, but for this one, I’m in the “faster is better” camp! :)

Laurie Wallin May 16, 2011 at 1:06 am

So thrilled that you showed the butterfly example. It’s one of my favorites as a former science teacher! The coolest part is that the blood doesn’t start circulating in the wings if you cut open the chrysalis to help it get out faster. They have to struggle to emerge. How COOL IS THAT?? Well, cool in the fact that it’s a nice analogy for us. Not so fun in that it just reaffirms that “in this life you will have trouble.” :)

Beth B May 16, 2011 at 1:29 am

I think we see the slow process in our children, too. No matter how quickly we want them to “get” something (understand it, do it, achieve it, etc.), they work in their own time. And each child has his/ her own timetable for different areas. It can be frustrating along the way, but when they finally accomplish that next thing, it’s nice to look back and see how far they’ve come. I am even learning to notice and enjoy the steps along the way.

Thanks for the great insight.

MaryL May 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Funny, I used a butterfly as an analogy for our rebirth in Christ just yesterday. It is also a great metaphor for our life-long sanctification process. The butterfly cannot emerge without struggle and pain. Like us he has to learn the first lessons first and the second lessons second. To rush the process is not to trust that God has us right where he wants us. When we rush we miss the opportunity just to be in God’s presence and experience his love and peace.
I know that I am more productive and more likely to learn today’s lesson not when I rush ahead, but when I take the time to rest in God’s presence, remember to breathe, and enjoy the beauty and delight in is His creations all around me.

Joan C. Webb May 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Waiting for a precious new grandchild is tedious and a little nerve-wracking, isn’t it, Diane? Is Baby here yet? Interesting how a baby takes her/his sweet time to process, too!

Joan C. Webb May 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Laurie, the science teacher, thank you for your expertise here! You said, “The coolest part is that the blood doesn’t start circulating in the wings if you cut open the chrysalis to help it get out faster. They have to struggle to emerge.” It’s a very meaningful analogy, isn’t it?

Joan C. Webb May 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm

MaryL, I agree with you. The entire growth process reminds me of sanctification. :-)

Joan C. Webb May 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Beth B, I love the thought of “enjoying the process.” Thank you for sharing your grace-filled parenting wisdom. I think you’re ‘right on.’