God Loves Imperfect Moms

by Joan C Webb on May 3, 2011

“Each bed-time, I would beat myself up for not being a perfect Christian mom, for not spending enough time with God, for failing to accomplish more for Him,” said my friend Suzanne. “I thought this nightly scolding ritual would help me grow spiritually, but instead I became more dissatisfied, inflexible and tired.

mother-baby image“Then while studying the Old Testament one autumn, I read Zephaniah 3:17. The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.” And to my surprise, I sensed God accepting me instead of reprimanding me for not being good-enough yet. It was my turning point.”

It’s Mother’s Day week! And time for us Moms to enjoy some emotional, mental and spiritual rest and relaxation. If you’re like Suzanne and me, you’ve probably discovered that trying-too-hard-to-make-it-all-just-right can backfire on you and start to dull your soul.

Suzanne with my daughter as they talk & sing to Lynnette's babies

Suzanne with my daughter as they talk & sing to Lynnette's babies

Mommy, during the next few days, remind yourself that God sings over you, just the way you do when you want to calm your children or share smiles with them. Here’s an idea: Write the words of Zeph 3:17 on a sticky note and put it where you’ll see it often. Maybe on your computer, ipad, mirror, kitchen counter or steering wheel.

Perhaps you can identify a little with Suzanne and her story. What was your turning point?

I’m curious: Where did you put your sticky note?

Laurie Wallin May 4, 2011 at 1:22 am

Didn’t put it up yet, but that idea is SO great. My clients and I use it frequently… we’d come up with a question to recall the verse. Something like “Did you hear His song today?” Such a fun idea! And I’m SO excited to have you bring your relief message to Living Power the rest of the week. :)

Diane Markins May 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I can absolutely relate! I don’t remember a specific turning point but over time I learned to laugh at the goofy mistakes I’d make. My auto-response (which the kids and my husband heard frequently) became:
“Rats…I guess that will cost me Mother of the Year!”

Joan C. Webb May 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

Laurie, I love follow-up action that you and your clients take on this idea. You sound like such an inspiring and “cheerleader” Life Coach. :-) I’ve so enjoyed sharing with you and your friends/fans on your Living Power Life Coaching Facebook page.

Joan C. Webb May 6, 2011 at 11:56 am

Diane, you “crack me up” and I not only appreciate that, but I think I need it! :-) Have a Happy Mother’s Day, even if you don’t win the 2011 Mother of the Year award. But then, maybe you will. Or maybe “Grandmother of the Year” !!

Paula May 7, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I remember years of anguish over the kind of mother I had become, much to my own shock and dismay, and beyond my ability to comprehend. My turning point came at 3pm on a summer afternoon in 1989…when I looked in the mirror and realized I hated everything I saw, loathed her. but then I asked…”If I hate me, and God loves me…something is wrong. I am outside the will of God” This began a journey into grace. my “post-it” note became a mental image of my being covered by an umbrella and completely dry while all my sin rained and stormed down around me, mine and the sins of others, all of the consequences of our humanity. I hadn’t yet learned how to see the beauty of being human. This carried me. Two years later, I was a completely transformed individual, mother, Believer, Wife, everything. To sum a book into a paragraph.

Paula May 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Well, not completely transformed. I have kept growing since. :)

Joan C. Webb May 9, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Hi Paula! Thanks for sharing your story. And your mental “sticking note.” And thank you so much for taking the time to comment and tell your story. It makes me smile.

MaryL May 19, 2011 at 8:37 am

Paula – your story is inspiring. It brought tears to my eyes. I like your umbrella analogy or is it metaphor I always get those mixed up. Thank you for sharing.