Hurry Up, God!

by Joan C Webb on May 16, 2011

Processing life–with the good, painful, and disappointing–is an annoyingly slow procedure at times. Although the growth process is always worthwhile, sometimes it takes me to frightening places where I feel unfamiliar emotions, think uncomfortable thoughts…and well, just plain hurt.

My stomach aches. My head throbs. My body gets tired. I find it takes courage to let myself experience these things, acknowledge my reality, and move beyond my conditioned attitudes and behavior–to GROW as a person–mother, wife, friend, writer, coach, business owner and child of God.

Although process isn’t always fun and I want God to hurry up sometimes, it helped me immensely when I realized that God could have sent His Son to accomplish His redemptive work during a weekend retreat. Perhaps then Jesus would have escaped much of the prolonged discomfort.

Instead God chose for Jesus to arrive as a baby, become a teen, and confront young adulthood. The faultless Son of God left perfection with His Father to face earth’s reality: sickness, death, abuse, and unbelief.

As I realized that God sanctions process, I began to relax and accept that progress takes time. And now as the years march by (hmmm, actually it feels more like they’re racing!) I want to remind myself again.

When I take substantial steps forward and then something happens to trigger old response strategies and I fall back, I have the option to pause where I am and begin again. Because God sanctions process. I love that. How about you?

MaryL May 19, 2011 at 8:29 am

Love that thought that God could have sent Jesus on a weekend retreat instead. That makes me smile. I so identify with the thought that I want everything and I want it now in my time line! It’s probably about control again – hmm something to surrender today.
It is all going to happen in God’s time and for that we need patience because His time does not match our time… Thanks for the reminder to savor the process/journey and focus less on getting to what I think is the goal line.

MaryL May 19, 2011 at 8:32 am

Oh yes I also wanted to add I like this thought, “I have the option to pause where I am and begin again.”

This is a great reminder that we get “do overs.” I thank you God for second chances!

Denise Miller Holmes May 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Too many Christians judge others for allowing themselves process. This is the main problem with Christians who believe that therapy is wrong for believers. I have talked with such people, and they are adamant that God heals instantly, and that our emotional pains will go away with prayer. ARRRRRG! I get so frustrated. God values process with us. We need to stop judging others and ourselves and allow God’s grace and love and process to heal us.

Denise Miller Holmes May 19, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Just as an addendum, what I meant by “prayer” is really INSTANT prayer. Obviously, any process we go through with God includes prayer!

Joan C. Webb May 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm

How fun that this makes you smile, MaryL! Thanks for your comments. Sounds like you can identify. “Do-overs” are good.

Joan C. Webb May 19, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I agree with you, Denise. In fact, I share similar thoughts in “The Relief of Imperfect Emotions, Minds and Bodies” AND “The Relief of Imperfect Churches and Culture” AND “The Relief of Imperfect Faith, Prayer and Spirituality” sections of The Relief of Imperfection.
I like this quote: “Christians are routinely taught by example and word that it is more important to be right . . . than it is to be Christlike,” writes Karen Lee-Thorp, in Waking Up from the Dream of a Lifetime, a group study for women. Lee-Thorpe contends that sometimes we are encouraged to be hard on people who we believe are wrong. Sadly, we’re often persuaded that we need to “hold feet to the fire” in order to reach spiritual maturity quickly and become better Christians NOW. Yet this approach may lead to over-trying, numbness, frustration, hurt and eventual spiritual burnout.
Thanks for your sharing. I read your blogs… Your message fits in with this.

MaryL May 20, 2011 at 8:33 am

I am reminded of this saying when I read your comments Denise and Joan – “Christian Churches shoot their wounded”
This is so sad. We are supposed to be known as Christians by the love we show each other. Too often the focus in churches is on judgement and rules rather then love, compassion, and grace. We are supposed to be known “by the love we show each other.” We too often miss the mark. Big Sigh.