Ever Feel Like an Outsider? Guest Blog by Lorri Allen

by Joan C Webb on July 27, 2011

Lorri AllenRecently I received a surprise email from Lorri Allen, journalist on staff with Family Life Radio. We connected at a lunch meeting and have been email/Facebook-chatting ever since.

Yesterday when Lorri and I met for lunch (yes, again–hey, we both enjoying eating!) she gave me a copy of her new book, It’s All Good News: Encouragement for Every Season. I liked what I read, so I asked her be my guest blogger today. If you’ve ever felt like an outsider (I certainly have!) I suspect you’ll identify with Lorri’s story.

“It was the Williams reunion, and I was having a ball. I was related to all these nice people I’d never met before. They were courteous, giving, godly–and great cooks!

“As an only child who moved from school to school, I had always felt like an outsider. But this day, I belonged. I was part of the club! People here knew the grandfather I never met when he was a young, handsome war hero. People here were taught in school by my grandmother. They liked me not because I was the speaker, the writer, the boss, the journalist, or the wife of a moviemaker, but because I was family. In fact, they didn’t even seem to care what I did. . . only about whose I was.

“Heaven will be that way–the biggest and best family reunion ever. We will be members of the only club that really counts. We won’t feel like lonely outsiders. We will belong. We will love and be loved. We will be important not because of our job titles, accomplishments, or who we married … we will be important because of whose we are.”

Lorri Allen - Its All Good News Book Cover When you get tired of hearing all the bad news, read Lorri’s 1-2 page stories/devotionals and you’ll walk away encouraged. You can buy It’s All Good News on Amazon or at her publisher’s website by clicking here. Find out more about Lorri on her website www.lorri.com.

So, I’m wondering: when have you felt like an outsider? And what’s it like knowing that you’ll be one of the “in-crowd” in heaven?

Diane Markins July 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I have certainly felt that way. I’ve gotten good at faking it so I don’t shy away and put people off, but the better choice is to truly embrace the fact that followers of Christ ALWAYS belong where they are. We’re members of the most elete club ever created! Thanks for sharing, Joan…and thanks to Lorri for the message.

Joan C. Webb July 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Ahh, thanks for sharing and identifying, Diane. I agree that it can sometimes be an automatic response to “shy away” and unfortunately “put people off”. I response your “better choice.”

Joan C. Webb July 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm

LOL, Diane! I meant to write “I respect your ‘better choice.’” Not “I response your ‘better choice.’” Fingers flying over the keys faster than my words can fly through my brain this morn!

Patricia Groff August 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I have felt like an outsider many times, but the funny thing is, I feel empowered by it. I don’t HAVE to follow the crowd or DO what everyone else is doing. I HAVE A CHOICE. When those times appear that I feel all alone, I just run my thoughts by God, and get the guidance I need to cope. I don’t mean to be stand-offish or anti-social, but there are just times I’d rather be an outsider. Is this normal?

Joan C. Webb August 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Patricia, it’s great that you realize that you have choices. That is empowering, to be sure.
You ask “Is this normal?” about the times you’re rather be an outsider.
If we were together face-to-face, I’d ask you what is means for you to be an outsider and what you like about it.
And since we’re not together and I’m not certain what you mean, I’ll just take a stab at this to say: People who register as high extroverts on the temperament/personality assessments usually really like being with others and being “in” the group. While it is understandable that people who register as high introverts often like time to be alone or one-on-one to regroup and refresh. Neither way is wrong.
All of us like to feel that we’re accepted and/or supported, whether it is as a people-oriented person or a task-oriented person. I know you have The Intentional Woman book. You’ll get a little more insight on this in the third step (right in the middle of the book.)

just check acquiring a typical dressmaker to generate you a bouncing dress12 June 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I have observed that car insurance corporations know the cars and trucks which are at risk from accidents along with other risks. Additionally they know what kind of cars are prone to higher risk along with the higher risk they have the higher the premium fee. Understanding the easy basics associated with car insurance will assist you to choose the right kind of insurance policy that could take care of your needs in case you happen to be involved in any accident. Many thanks for sharing your ideas with your blog.