Change Is Like Renovation!

by Joan C Webb on June 21, 2012

“What changes are on your horizon?”asked a writing colleague in an email.
“How did she know?” I wondered. I am in the midst of change. Maybe it’s more evident than I imagine. If you interact with me on Facebook or Twitter, perhaps you’ve noticed that I didn’t post much for weeks. I haven’t written many blogs, either.

Several people have asked how I’m doing and what’s going on. (Two practical reasons for my absence include: 1) Getting new tech equipment/software and losing programs in the transfer. 2) AND for some reason, Facebook hid my posts for about 2 months. When I figured that out early on, I just stopped sharing. Then one day my posts inexplicably became un-hidden!)

Anyway…after responding to my writing colleague’s email, I shared my answer with a couple other friends. Each said, “Thanks for sharing, Joan. It’s helpful to know.” So at the risk of sounding confused, lazy, unmotivated or egotistical, I’ve decided to share my email response with you, my Blogger-Friends. Here goes:
Thanks for asking, Lynne. I am definitely in transition. It’s been brewing for about 8 months. I’m in a renovating, refining, restructuring stage. It stems back to something that God seemed to show me in October 2011 in answer to a question given to us at a Life Coaching conference I attended. This became my goal for 2012: To work less, reach more people, and love with abandon.
Now I’m 1/2 way through 2012 and am amazed at the lengthy preparation that’s been going on toward this goal. I think I’m entering into the actual season now. It is definitely a transition of loss, grief, messiness, gratitude and good. In the preparation, I’ve said yes to saying no–for now. “No” to new projects, books, editing jobs. (Although “Yes” to coaching and lifeplans for people.)

This is not an idle time. I plan to get hands-on help. I know I can’t continue to do what I believe God is asking me to do without team members. Also, I’m going to review all my files and materials (on the computer, hard copies, in books and online) to see what God has given me through the years and then figure out how to reorganize, live and offer my life purpose/mission/message: “To reflect God’s brilliance, make His message relevant and help release His people to freedom.” In the end, I think some of the re-offering might be online.

In addition, I’m renovating my health–at least the parts that are within my control to change. Included with all this, I desire to spend time journaling, reflecting, reading, praying, studying and listening. I’m grateful for the new equipment to help me do this. Still it is a learning curve for me. And I’m going to take some time to figure it out. (I realize it’s easy for some people, but hey, not so much for me!)
It’s interesting that during this time we’ve been renovating our house. Very tiring, hard work, even though we’ve had a general contractor. But it’s been a kind of “visual aid” for what is happening with my ministry and business. Navigating the changes is MESSY, inconvenient and unpredictable! Well-worth it, though!
Relief-blessings to you,
Joan
P.S. By the way, I bought Michael Hyatt’s Platform book and package and I plan to “hire” him (by reading and watching his stuff!) as a guide during this renovation time. It’s ironic since I think one of the reasons I’m so “tired” is because of the social media/marketing BIGGER, BETTER, MORE, FASTER mentality. God does ironic things sometimes!! :-)
_
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
YOUR TURN: So, now that I’ve shared a little about what’s happening with me, I’m curious: Are you in renovation-mode? WHAT CHANGES ARE ON YOUR HORIZON RIGHT NOW?

Susan Gaddis June 27, 2012 at 12:22 am

This sounds like the journey I’ve been on for the last two years! All good, but definitely challenging. Thanks for the validation in your words.

Joan C. Webb June 27, 2012 at 5:49 am

Hi Susan! Thanks for your encouraging words. So you’ve been on a similar “renovation” journey–and for the last two years! I’m sure you’ve learned quite a lot. So I’m wondering: what is the main or key insight you’ve gained?

Lynne Hartke June 28, 2012 at 8:44 pm

What an exciting/scary/challenging/wonderful journey you are on. Can’t wait to hear more about the process and the lessons learned.

I have been praying this prayer for you – that you will fall in love with the joy of writing again, the awesome beauty of being called to communicate with words. That joy is allusive and so easily lost in the message of marketing and money. My opinion is that social media is not free. It costs us the most valuable resource of all – time. (I think I might have to write a blog about that!) :)

Blessings on the journey.

Joan C. Webb June 29, 2012 at 12:32 am

Yes, it is, Lynne! And I am looking forward to hearing and learning more during the process, too!

Hmmmm. So interesting that you have been praying this prayer for me. “That I would fall in love with the joy of writing again…” You know what, in the last few days, I’ve had this teeny-tiny inkling and fleeting thought of what it might be to come out of this with the writing bug…. Maybe you’re the reason for that. All I can say is Hmmmmmm.
Yes, indeed, please write a blog about that. (BTW, did you notice that earlier today on FB, I announced that I’m taking an intentional break from Facebook for awhile.) !!

Lorraine Testa June 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm

So glad to see you are taking an intentional break from technology for now. Our society has a new form of the “tyranny of the urgent” by way of social media and email. The flow never seems to stop and putting it on the back burner just causes it to pile up and seem even more overwhelming. However, the idea of an intentional break gives breathing room and relief, as well as a chance to step back, renew and refresh. That all sure sounds like renovating to me!

Renovating is a lot of physical and emotional work. Questions come up like: “Will I like the result?”, “Will it be worth it?”, “Will I miss the way things were?”, “Will other people like what’s happened?”. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

The good news is renovation also brings all the things you seek: “To reflect God’s brilliance, make His message relevant and help release His people to freedom.” Enjoy the journey and remember you do make a difference in the lives of those you touch, each and every day. Thanks for being beautiful you!

Joan C Webb July 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for all your wise comments, Lorraine. I love your “renovating” thoughts and analogies. And I appreciate your affirmation. Let’s both make our July a “Doable and Reasonable” month, what say you?? :-)